Guidelines for in-home use of Liquid Oxygen
Supplemental oxygen is a medication that has been prescribed by your physician. Like any medication, oxygen should be taken as directed by your physician. The dosage has been prescribed by your physician based on medical tests and evaluation: one of the key oxygen precautions is to never change the dosage without your physician?s direction.
Another one of the top oxygen precautions is the potential to start a fire. Patients should be advised that the use of LOX in the home could possibly increase the content of oxygen in the air from 21% to a higher level. This is due to the excess of oxygen not inhaled. If clothing or other cloth material becomes saturated with an oxygen enriched atmosphere, the material can burst into flames from a source of ignition.
Additional Oxygen Precautions
- Keep the equipment in a well ventilated area
- Keep all units in an upright orientation at all times. In the event of an accidental tip-over, place the equipment back into an upright position
- Do not carry or store equipment under a coat or any form of clothing
- Turn off oxygen supply when not in use
- DO NOT SMOKE WHILE USING YOUR OXYGEN Equipment. Keep matches, cigarettes, burning tobacco or candles away from area where system is being used.
- Avoid creation of any sparks near oxygen equipment. This includes sparks from static electricity created by friction
- Keep equipment at least five feet away from radios, television sets, window air conditioners, fans, electric razors, hair dryers and all other electrical appliances.
- Keep LOX equipment away from heat sources, electric or gas heaters of any kind, fireplaces or stoves.
- Keep all flammable materials or petroleum based products away from equipment
- Never attempt to lubricate the LOX equipment
- Never use aerosol sprays near the equipment
- Make sure there is a proper fire extinguisher in the home